torsdag den 27. juni 2013

4 light snacks


As you'll know if you're a follower on Instagram, where I often post photos of sweets like the ones shown above, I'm a MAJOR snacker (is that a word?). Especially during periods when I spend a lot of time working in front of the computer like now. I simply cannot go one evening without a little something for my sweet tooth. A form of comfort eating, I guess. It's a terrible habit. A habit which I have to intention of breaking, nonetheless, and I love trying to come up with lighter and healthier snack alternatives. Here are 4 of the ones I really enjoy and think you should try as well: 

Licorice balls:
Originally, these were coconut balls, but lately I've been replacing the shredded coconut with licorice powder, and I actually like this version better. All you need is skyr, finely-rolled oats, cocoa powder, and (sweet) licorice powder. Simply mix together skyr, oats, and cocoa until you have a solid consistency. I always make them by eye, so just taste your way and keep in mind that the texture should not be too soft. If you desire, you can add a bit of stevia or other form of sweetener too. Make little balls out of the mixture and role them in licorice powder. 

Coconut macaroons
I was inspired to make these macaroons by a blog post ages ago, and it's been a favorite ever since. Not only do they taste great, they also look very cute, and I like to make them when I have friends over. For approximately 15 macaroons you need 2 egg whites, 30 g cane sugar (can be replaced with sweetener), 1 teaspoon vanilla powder, 100 g blended or finely-chopped almonds, and 100 g shredded coconut. Stir together egg whites and sugar using a hand mixer, then add vanilla, almonds, and coconut, and combine the whole thing with a spoon. Mould little pointy macaroons and bake them in the oven for 15 minutes at 30 degrees C. If you want to make the a tad more yummy you can dip the bottoms in liquid chocolate.

Flourless coconut pancakes
When I make pancakes I also measure by eye, so with these you have to try your way as well. For 5 large pancakes you need approximately 4 dl. finely-rolled oats, 3 tablespoons skyr, 2 egg whites, 30 g cane sugar (or 1 teaspoon sweetener), 3 dl. shredded coconut, 3 dl. almond flour, 2 teaspoons baking soda, and 1 tablespoon coconut oil. Start by blending the oats into a fine flour, and combine it with almond flour and  baking soda. In another bowl, stir together egg whites and sugar until well-combined, then add the rest of the ingredients. Remember that these measurements are only guiding; I like to make my pancakes pretty thick and American-ish, but you can adjust the ingredients as you desire. 

Chocolate bark:
This is a classic. And one of my favorite go-to snacks, I might add. Just to be clear, I'm not pretending to believe that chocolate is healthy; it is, however, one of my favorite things in the world, and making chocolate bark from chocolate with 80 % cocoa is a good alternative to binging on heavy milk chocolates. There aren't many rules: Simply melt the chocolate you desire, mix it with the ingredients you desire and pour the mixture into a flat dish or bowl making as thin a layer as possible. Then wait for it to cool down (completely, no cheating!), and you'll be able to take it out and break it into pieces. For the bark on the photo above I mixed half of the chocolate with licorice powder and the other half with coconut oil and shredded coconut, and then I added chopped almonds to the whole thing. 

Happy snacking!

Dansk: Som I måske har set på Instagram, hvor jeg ofte poster billeder af søde sager, er jeg en snacker med stort 'S'; særligt i perioder som denne, hvor jeg tilbringer det meste af min tid foran computeren med mit speciale, har jeg svært ved at undvære snacks om aftenen. Dog eksperimenterer jeg for det meste med lette alternativer, og ovenover kan I se fire af mine favoritter: Lakridskugler, kokosmakroner, kokospandekager uden mel og chokolade bark


1 kommentar: